Skip to main content

LMFAO (Learning More From Another One)

Everyday, to me, is a learning experience. The people I meet, the things I see, feel, hear or even experience. In my heart, I am happy to say, that I have been privileged to coach a team. Not just any team, but a football team.


Football is teamwork. One cannot make a goal withoout the help of another player. Each kick, chest catch, head-butt or ball control is a well-calculated team effort.


Although I am a seasoned player, I still learn from the team I helped coach this semester. They continuously remind me to remain grounded. They also continue to teach me to respect each and everyone. That each player is unique and different. No player should be ignored. Everyone should be remembered. Even if they are not the best player on the team, they're still entitled to respect. Even if they can't kick well, or can't catch the ball well, they have to be respected. Without them, a team is nothing.


As an assistant coach, I got to know the players more. What they like, what they don't like, what they're into, what course are they taking, if they're far away from their loved-ones or not, if they have a problem (financially, emotionally, etc.). In short, I learned to respect them and in the long run, I also learned to love them and treat them like my own siblings. We would bond, eat together, leave the field together, spend long-talks over the phone, or just simple heart to heart talks.


Now that I am no longer going to be with the kids I bonded with for the entire semester, I learned an imporant lesson. Well, lessons.


Lesson Number 1:

"I learned to respect and agree with what my players think and suggest."

- Like a game of chess, as a player, I am oblivious to the blind moves I make on the field (may it be decision-making ones or in relation to the team in general). The players, like spectators in a chess game, sees these moves. And they will tell you what's on their mind. If it's no longer good for the team, they will tell you wholeheartedly and honestly that what you're doing is not correct. And the best thing to do is: LISTEN.


Lesson Number 2:

"I believe in the team knows better than the coach."

- The players have ideas on how to play the game better, BECAUSE, they're the ones who are ACTUALLY playing the game. As a coach, this rings true. You may have past experiences in the football field, but what might've worked for you, won't be applicable to your players now.


So, you might be Laughing My F***ing Ass Off, from reading this. But I say, I am Learning More From Another One, and that is from a simple team player,with a great mind of his/her own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unsent Letter

Dear Noah, I am writing to you, not because I have to, but I need to. In my heart there are so many things I wanted to tell you but my lips are frozen, and I could only whisper those words in this letter that I am writing. I know you will never get tired of me saying this, but, I have never regretted my decision of coming back to see you after so long. I missed our long talks, the way you teach me how to speak in another language through your poems. But what I really miss, is how you say hi and ask how am I. Everyone asked me, especially the ones who were close to me, why I came back to you, instead of going with the other? I never explained. Simply because, they would never understand, that the feelings between us were special. They would always think of our past as a memory of a time spent together. But to me, it will always be special. I have always dreamed of our time together as perfect. People may say, that I have wasted my time, going back and looking back at a love once lost.

Who is your Super ONE and why?

My Super ONE is my Grandma... Right now, she's residing at the Land Down Under with my other uncles and aunts. This photo, which was taken around May of last year was a photo of me and my Nanay (as we fondly call her) 24 years after she migrated to Australia. She came to visit us last year and announced upon her arrival: "Apo, let's go to South Korea! I want to see where they shoot Winter Sonata!" After that epic trip to Seoul, Nanay still calls us every now and then and writes to us. And would you believe at the age of 82 she surfs the internet? After our youngest sister taught her how, Nanay couldn't get off the net! I just wish she's here right now... I miss spending midnights with her watching her Koreanovellas and her war time stories (she survived both the 2 World Wars). The good thing is, Globe recently launched Super One ... this is a sure way for me and Nanay to still stay connected despite the distance and time difference.

I am busy... Therefore I procrastinate.

Who says I am lazy? Being lazy isn't an excuse for things not to be done by yours truly. I have one reason and one reason only: I am busy. Everyday all of us rush to do things or get somewhere fast. And if someone stops you on your tracks and tell you you're lazy or not doing what you're being asked to do, simply put: YOU'RE BUSY, therefore, YOU PROCRASTINATE. What exactly is PROCRASTINATION ? According to Wikipedia, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high priority actions with tasks of low priority, thus, putting off important tasks to a later time. BUT... is it HEALTHY ? I think procrastinating is healthy in terms of being done once, but not always. So again, am I PROCRASTINATING ? Technically no. I am just BUSY .