Skip to main content

Quarter-Life Crisis? Right...

There is no doubt that at the start of this year, my life (though marked as the year known as the QLS or more commonly known as the Quarter-Life Crisis stage) began with a lot of blessings.

I am beginning to understand why everyone has been calling it the Quarter-Life Crisis stage. This is the time where you begin to see the picture a bit clearer than before. Somehow, things that I thought was right, suddenly seemed wrong. Things that I used to believe in, where false.

To begin with, I left my job of seven years to be a full-time student. Someone once told me that instead of going forward I moved backward. That I should've stayed with my work and continued on with my studies. For one, I missed the last three years of my college life. The time where I should be enjoying the challenges in class, the academic life that most of the student spent their college years bumming around while waiting for the next class to start, I spent running to and fro work. I had to run to get to my next class so as not to be late, I had to try and keep myself awake because I had been up all night writing scripts and watching tape reels. I was promised a comfortable spot in the College of Law (where I am today) after I graduate by no other than the Dean Emeritus himself (had I only grabbed it after I graduated, I would've been done by now). I was offered various positions in other media agencies and other prestigious companies, yet I chose to work where I worked for seven years (inclusive of my undergraduate years). I also chose to work first before entering Law school.

As fate would have it, I had a tumultuous three years before I went to Law school. Three painful years that I dared not share even with my family as I don't want them to endure the pain I suffered. After keeping my silence for three long painful years, I broke my silence by believing that I was well and good and deciding to go to Law school. To which my father believed was great timing. It was time for me to break out from the pain that encased me for so long. I also believed then that following orders and listening to what others has to say is important and would be a good advice for me to follow. So after three years of being tied to work, tied to the pain, I decided to enroll. The dream that began five years ago is still in my heart. I prayed day and night that I be given the chance to enroll, where not everyone is lucky enough to get in for various reasons. After two years of Law school, and after seven years of working, I decided to call it quits from work, take a breather and start loading myself with the ammo I needed for the future. I am thankful for being part of the company I called home for seven years. They groomed me, treated me well, and made me distracted from the pain that haunted me. I enjoyed my stay, and I am thankful. But when I left, I was asked several questions as to why I left? Did I really leave because of the stress? Did I just use my education as an excuse? Or simply put, I can't take it anymore?

On top of these questions, I was also haunted by a romantic pain that everyone goes through. A scar that I thought had already healed, had opened once again. We undergo pain... Sorrow... Suffering. Yet it comes in different degrees. But we have no right to make the next person we begin and learn to love to suffer for our past pains. We have no right to hurt the ones who would love us when the world refuses to, just because we got hurt before. In short, we may have been hurt several times, but we cannot treat the next person unfairly because time, fate and the world has been unkind and unfair. There is no such thing as fair in this world. We have to feel unfairness, before things become fair. We have to feel pain before we feel love.

So tell me, I have learned to speak six languages, yet there is no exact translation or meaning or exact words for the things I am feeling now.

But I will say this, I have never regretted the decision of going back to school and leaving work after seven years. Time has been kind to me all these years, and I believe that it's just good timing. Maybe there is a bigger assignment for me in the future. A bigger test maybe that I have to prepare for. In the end, it's me and the world. The way I converse with it, the way I move with it. There are no late timing. There are no wrong decisions. They are only wrong if we regret about later on.

Do I still considered myself blessed? Yes. Do I still considered myself to be lucky despite the many trials I had to face at the beginning of the year? Yes. I have been brought down so many times, that these depressions have become my inspiration to rise above it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unsent Letter

Dear Noah, I am writing to you, not because I have to, but I need to. In my heart there are so many things I wanted to tell you but my lips are frozen, and I could only whisper those words in this letter that I am writing. I know you will never get tired of me saying this, but, I have never regretted my decision of coming back to see you after so long. I missed our long talks, the way you teach me how to speak in another language through your poems. But what I really miss, is how you say hi and ask how am I. Everyone asked me, especially the ones who were close to me, why I came back to you, instead of going with the other? I never explained. Simply because, they would never understand, that the feelings between us were special. They would always think of our past as a memory of a time spent together. But to me, it will always be special. I have always dreamed of our time together as perfect. People may say, that I have wasted my time, going back and looking back at a love once lost.

Who is your Super ONE and why?

My Super ONE is my Grandma... Right now, she's residing at the Land Down Under with my other uncles and aunts. This photo, which was taken around May of last year was a photo of me and my Nanay (as we fondly call her) 24 years after she migrated to Australia. She came to visit us last year and announced upon her arrival: "Apo, let's go to South Korea! I want to see where they shoot Winter Sonata!" After that epic trip to Seoul, Nanay still calls us every now and then and writes to us. And would you believe at the age of 82 she surfs the internet? After our youngest sister taught her how, Nanay couldn't get off the net! I just wish she's here right now... I miss spending midnights with her watching her Koreanovellas and her war time stories (she survived both the 2 World Wars). The good thing is, Globe recently launched Super One ... this is a sure way for me and Nanay to still stay connected despite the distance and time difference.

I am busy... Therefore I procrastinate.

Who says I am lazy? Being lazy isn't an excuse for things not to be done by yours truly. I have one reason and one reason only: I am busy. Everyday all of us rush to do things or get somewhere fast. And if someone stops you on your tracks and tell you you're lazy or not doing what you're being asked to do, simply put: YOU'RE BUSY, therefore, YOU PROCRASTINATE. What exactly is PROCRASTINATION ? According to Wikipedia, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high priority actions with tasks of low priority, thus, putting off important tasks to a later time. BUT... is it HEALTHY ? I think procrastinating is healthy in terms of being done once, but not always. So again, am I PROCRASTINATING ? Technically no. I am just BUSY .