Skip to main content

At the Heart of Arts and Culture

The other day, hours before the concert of the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra began, I wandered off through the floors of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. I was in awe as I walked along the paintings lining the walls of the building. Studying each stroke, each hue, I found myself lost amongst the colors that struck a chord in my heart. I ask myself, what was the artist feeling when he painted this piece? After looking at the paintings I went one floor up where the museum was. It was a place where one could find his or her roots. Looking at the pieces from behind glass cases, I was amazed at how our country has so many riches to impart to us. But sadly, our generation has forgotten. Gone are the days when one would use the gamelan and the gongs to produce music, or the gitara or the rondalla. Now its rock music here, sentimental music there, pop music everywhere. Our traditional music, almost gone with the changing times. A few more steps and I was in a place where folk dances where shown. National treasures that boasts of a rich heritage. I gaze sadly on the fine jewelry that our Ifugao sisters wore, or the headdresses our Ifugao brothers wore proudly on their heads. The sarongs that clothed our Maranaw relatives and the dialects lost on our now foreign tongues as we embraced other cultures. As I left the museum, a muse inspired me to write this poem in Filipino.

"Bughaw, pula, puti at luntian,

Simbolo ng ating mayaman na kalinangan.

Musikang umaalingawngaw mula sa hilaga hanggang sa timog,

Wala ng init na nararamdaman kundi hamog.


Malungkot na mga matang nakatitig sa nakakalimutang kinagisnan,

Gintong mga alahas ninais ng mga dayuhan,

Makulay na kultura, unti-unting nawawaglit,

Hindi nililingon kahit isang saglit.


Masakit sa damdamin, bakit kinagisnan na kultura'y hindi muling yakapin,

Pagka't kinabukasang banyaga ang sinasalamin,

Sayang sa isang gusali na lamang ito namamahay,

Pagka't panahon ng teknolohiya ang bumawi ng kanyang buhay..."


In english:

"Blue, red, white and green,

Symbols of our rich culture,

Music that echoes from the North to the South,

Warmth is no longer felt, except the cold.


Sad eyes that looks on over a forgotten heritage,

Gold that were desired by foreign invaders,

Colorful culture that is gradually being forgotten,

It's not even given a second glance.


It's saddening to know that we cannot embrace our heritage back,

Our choice to only see the foreign future in the mirror,

Saddened that a building houses our only culture,

For technology has taken its life away..."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unsent Letter

Dear Noah, I am writing to you, not because I have to, but I need to. In my heart there are so many things I wanted to tell you but my lips are frozen, and I could only whisper those words in this letter that I am writing. I know you will never get tired of me saying this, but, I have never regretted my decision of coming back to see you after so long. I missed our long talks, the way you teach me how to speak in another language through your poems. But what I really miss, is how you say hi and ask how am I. Everyone asked me, especially the ones who were close to me, why I came back to you, instead of going with the other? I never explained. Simply because, they would never understand, that the feelings between us were special. They would always think of our past as a memory of a time spent together. But to me, it will always be special. I have always dreamed of our time together as perfect. People may say, that I have wasted my time, going back and looking back at a love once lost.

Who is your Super ONE and why?

My Super ONE is my Grandma... Right now, she's residing at the Land Down Under with my other uncles and aunts. This photo, which was taken around May of last year was a photo of me and my Nanay (as we fondly call her) 24 years after she migrated to Australia. She came to visit us last year and announced upon her arrival: "Apo, let's go to South Korea! I want to see where they shoot Winter Sonata!" After that epic trip to Seoul, Nanay still calls us every now and then and writes to us. And would you believe at the age of 82 she surfs the internet? After our youngest sister taught her how, Nanay couldn't get off the net! I just wish she's here right now... I miss spending midnights with her watching her Koreanovellas and her war time stories (she survived both the 2 World Wars). The good thing is, Globe recently launched Super One ... this is a sure way for me and Nanay to still stay connected despite the distance and time difference.

I am busy... Therefore I procrastinate.

Who says I am lazy? Being lazy isn't an excuse for things not to be done by yours truly. I have one reason and one reason only: I am busy. Everyday all of us rush to do things or get somewhere fast. And if someone stops you on your tracks and tell you you're lazy or not doing what you're being asked to do, simply put: YOU'RE BUSY, therefore, YOU PROCRASTINATE. What exactly is PROCRASTINATION ? According to Wikipedia, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high priority actions with tasks of low priority, thus, putting off important tasks to a later time. BUT... is it HEALTHY ? I think procrastinating is healthy in terms of being done once, but not always. So again, am I PROCRASTINATING ? Technically no. I am just BUSY .