Skip to main content

To Mom with Love

I know you've heard of lines like: "My dad is better than your dad, or my mom is better than your mom..." I'm not going to compare my mom against your mom. For I know that our moms made us grow the best way possible in her own special way.

My fondest memory of my mom, was when I was really young. I was aged 7 that time and my mom (like all moms who had to go to work) was quite busy. I remember her heading out of the house with her blue high-heeled shoes, blue slacks, blouse and blazer (it changes by day, brown or gray the next day), rushing into the car with my dad who would also head to the office for the day. She would give me a kiss on the cheek and run off. We would see each other by lunchtime and when she comes home from the office. Oftentimes when she had to go off and inspect some of the sites she has been working on, I would be left with my oldest sister, and some older brothers at home. My dad had to be off somewhere doing Medical Missions in different provinces. Some of those Medical Missions were the most memorable in Philippines history: Ormoc Tragedy (1992), I was 6 years old then, Mount Pinatubo erupting in 1991, I was 5 years old then. I remember my mom cuddling me and my older sister assuring us that dad would be home safe from the missions. After those missions, 1993 I got sick with Type 2 Dengue and my mom had to take care of me when I was in the hospital. They were worried sick, for I was 7 years old then and my frail body was infested with the second (if not deadliest) type of dengue. My mom would be at my side wiping my hot brow and sleeping on a couch beside my hospital bed. A few months after, thinking that I would be out of harm's way, I was sick yet again not with a virus, but this time, my appendix burst and I had to undergo surgery. I was aged 8 when I had my Appendectomy. My mom, was outside the operating room waiting and my dad was inside holding my hand while I was going under the knife. I even remember counting the number of lights on the overhead light.

Paradise...
After having my appendectomy, my father got assigned on an island paradise. Known to the world and famous for its white sandy beaches. Boracay was the ideal place during that time. Almost uninhabited by people. During that time, I was able to bond with my mom nonstop. We were inseparable, picking up seashells on the shore, watching the waves crash on the sand, and it was Boracay where I learned how to cook rice at a young age of 8. My mom was there to pick me up after school and we would either walk by the bay and talk about how school went or we would take a tricycle ride home. I also learned the importance of money during that time, since all things in Boracay were expensive. It was truly paradise indeed.

Nature trail...
Eight months later, my father got reassigned again, and this time we moved to nature-lush Laguna. A landmark for Mt. Makiling and Jose Rizal's hometown, Laguna is also know for its buko pie and espasol. My mom was my constant companion throughout my school days. I was in the 4th grade then and my mom would pick me up from school. Upon arriving home we would go over the lesson I learned from school. At this time in my life, my mom taught me how to sweep the floor and wash my clothes. For me, it was the beginning of my independence and at the same time a learning experience that would last me my entire lifetime.

Back at the metropolis...
After spending six months in Laguna, my father got reassigned yet again back in Manila. And this time, I recalled that my mom went with me to my school field trip. And it was during these times when my mom would slip in my lunch box "notes". These notes, were some inspiring thoughts and messages that I could learn a lot from. Today I still call them love notes from mom.

Turmoil years...
High school years are the turmoil years. Hormones change and the angst you feel against your parents are raging inside of you. For me, it wasn't angst. It was love. Through those turmoil years, my mom was there for me. She taught me how to cook and I will always treasure that from my mom.

Now that I've grown, I thank my mom. And my mom's mom. Without them, I wouldn't be here. And I wouldn't have learned all these things. Memories that are timeless... I really regret the times when I do something to hurt my mom or my dad. But I will always be thankful for them being my parents. I recalled when someone tried to hurt me emotionally and my mom was there to tell me, that there is someone out there far better. The guy who tried to hurt me, doesn't deserve me, she said.

Mom... I love you. 360 degrees... all throughout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unsent Letter

Dear Noah, I am writing to you, not because I have to, but I need to. In my heart there are so many things I wanted to tell you but my lips are frozen, and I could only whisper those words in this letter that I am writing. I know you will never get tired of me saying this, but, I have never regretted my decision of coming back to see you after so long. I missed our long talks, the way you teach me how to speak in another language through your poems. But what I really miss, is how you say hi and ask how am I. Everyone asked me, especially the ones who were close to me, why I came back to you, instead of going with the other? I never explained. Simply because, they would never understand, that the feelings between us were special. They would always think of our past as a memory of a time spent together. But to me, it will always be special. I have always dreamed of our time together as perfect. People may say, that I have wasted my time, going back and looking back at a love once lost.

Who is your Super ONE and why?

My Super ONE is my Grandma... Right now, she's residing at the Land Down Under with my other uncles and aunts. This photo, which was taken around May of last year was a photo of me and my Nanay (as we fondly call her) 24 years after she migrated to Australia. She came to visit us last year and announced upon her arrival: "Apo, let's go to South Korea! I want to see where they shoot Winter Sonata!" After that epic trip to Seoul, Nanay still calls us every now and then and writes to us. And would you believe at the age of 82 she surfs the internet? After our youngest sister taught her how, Nanay couldn't get off the net! I just wish she's here right now... I miss spending midnights with her watching her Koreanovellas and her war time stories (she survived both the 2 World Wars). The good thing is, Globe recently launched Super One ... this is a sure way for me and Nanay to still stay connected despite the distance and time difference.

existence of a paradox within a paradox

you try to go on with your life as if it is in a normal pace. you pretend and go on with the flow even if it continues to sear your flesh and let the blood flow endlessly on the pavement of hatred. you leave a world behind that wasn't even there to begin with. fingers point to you as if you are the accused in the court of deafs. no one hears you out and you are sentenced to live your very existence into solitude. tears won't matter for they fall on barren lands. voices won't matter, for they fall on deaf ears. people tell you that you're nothing. you are not part of a world that they created. why? do they belong in yours? sometimes, correction, most of the times, what you do to release the anger pent up inside, can't save you. there's no one there to make you feel alright, when things go wrong. how you wish that the people you hate, wait, loathe, are hanging by their necks amongst the rafters of the highest building. you cry to the wind. eyes that see, are blind