Skip to main content

Memory in a sea of dreams...

It was the year 1826.
Spring in Kyoto was different from the rest.
It was a time when the welcoming of spring is like a sweet kiss on each leaf, each petal, each tree. Returning a warm green embrace back to the Earth. The Kinkaku-ji Temple in Kyoto was home to a Shogun. But it also turns out, that there are other guests in the temple aside from the guests of the Shogun. My nephew and I found ourselves strolling inside the the temple. Watching the ducks wading in the lake and just gazing at the lush greenery. Then my nephew asked:
"Auntie, are you okay? You're near, yet so far, is there anything bothering you at all?"
Averting his eyes and looking away into the lake, I replied:
"I'm fine. There is nothing to worry about. Besides, what made you ask that question?"
His gaze fell on the ducks swimming on the lake. Then he spoke, in a broken voice:
"Auntie, I know how much pain you are feeling at the moment. But I have a very good feeling that you're really meant for someone. Someone, who I know well and I will be proud enough to call him uncle. Do you remember mentioning to me your dream? About the twin baby boys that you gave birth to?"
"What about it?" I replied.
"Well, there might be a possibility that you might end up with someone who has a twin brother or you might really give birth to one," was his response.
"Might... another what ifs," I retorted.
"Well, it is possib..." he said in a choking voice.
Then he fell with a samurai sticking on his back. But instead of him bleeding, I was the one who was bleeding. I felt pain rack my lower back. And I began seeing red all around me.
"Auntie, auntie!" shouted my nephew. "You horrible snake! Why did you do it?" cried my nephew.
I turned my head and saw his best friend. He knelt down and began to apologize. I raised my hand, and there came a flame that shot-out rapidly like an arrow. It grew big as it hit the floor and turned into a flaming wall that separated me and my nephew from his best friend. He began shouting his apologies to the sky, but I could hear a girl dragging him away and telling him not to apologize anymore, for it was futile. I tried to catch the words, but I could only hear my nephew crying. And then everything went black.

I woke up. Whew! It was only a dream. But why did I dream it? What did it mean? Why did my nephew mentioned me dreaming of giving birth to twin baby boys? Although I have been dreaming of that since I was in college. There were two baby beds in the nursery, each containing a baby boy. The boys were identical twins. But what did they symbolize? I immediately sat up from my bed and began praying. Asking for a sign from Him, and telling Him, that if this is His will, thy will be done and not mine. I went back to sleep after that prayer. Guess I was to find the answer out in the coming days.

The phone rang. But my boss picked it up before I could get my hand on the receiver. After a few minutes, he handed me the phone and said it was for me. I took the phone and the lobby receptionist told me that I had a letter waiting for me. I thanked him and put down the receiver. I half-ran, half-walked to the lobby to get the letter and there it was. Upon inspecting it at close range, I opened it to view its contents. And here's the content:

Good day!
I don't know you that well but it seems like you know a great deal about me to tell lies about me. You have been saying a lot of nasty things about me that isn't true and it only showed me who you really are. You can have him (referring to the best friend of my nephew), I am not laying any claim on him anyway. Don't wonder how I found out about what you've been saying about me, but I did. Anyways, have a nice day and God Bless!

The dream. It happened. The best friend stabbed my nephew with the girl, but my nephew didn't feel the brunt of that stabbing, I did, in the form of a letter. And it was all the best friend's fault. I knew he spelled trouble the moment he tried to assure me and my nephew the comfort of his loyalties. But then again, I saw his dark side. And with this new-found knowledge, I have decided to shut him out completely from my life.

A few weeks later, my nephew called me to tell me, he wants me to meet someone.
"Yes auntie, I know you are tired of hearing this, even from me, that we want you to hook up with someone, but this is someone better. Here's the photo," and sent it to me via email. I opened my email since I was doing both surfing and talking on the phone at the same time. And I gasped. It was a guy with a twin brother! I told my nephew in the most calmest voice possible:
"He has a twin? Seriously?"
"He does aunt, and here's the good part, he likes you too. I know you like him, even way before, you don't need to tell me, I just know. That's why I knew that it was okay to hook you up with this guy, at least I know him and I would be proud to call him my uncle," was all that he said. Again, my dream, happened for the second time. And it was in the form of a photograph.

Sensing that I have a great deal of knowledge in the palm of my hands, I knew that I had to be careful. Even in dreams, my prayers could be answered. Is this the ending? This was just the beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unsent Letter

Dear Noah, I am writing to you, not because I have to, but I need to. In my heart there are so many things I wanted to tell you but my lips are frozen, and I could only whisper those words in this letter that I am writing. I know you will never get tired of me saying this, but, I have never regretted my decision of coming back to see you after so long. I missed our long talks, the way you teach me how to speak in another language through your poems. But what I really miss, is how you say hi and ask how am I. Everyone asked me, especially the ones who were close to me, why I came back to you, instead of going with the other? I never explained. Simply because, they would never understand, that the feelings between us were special. They would always think of our past as a memory of a time spent together. But to me, it will always be special. I have always dreamed of our time together as perfect. People may say, that I have wasted my time, going back and looking back at a love once lost.

Who is your Super ONE and why?

My Super ONE is my Grandma... Right now, she's residing at the Land Down Under with my other uncles and aunts. This photo, which was taken around May of last year was a photo of me and my Nanay (as we fondly call her) 24 years after she migrated to Australia. She came to visit us last year and announced upon her arrival: "Apo, let's go to South Korea! I want to see where they shoot Winter Sonata!" After that epic trip to Seoul, Nanay still calls us every now and then and writes to us. And would you believe at the age of 82 she surfs the internet? After our youngest sister taught her how, Nanay couldn't get off the net! I just wish she's here right now... I miss spending midnights with her watching her Koreanovellas and her war time stories (she survived both the 2 World Wars). The good thing is, Globe recently launched Super One ... this is a sure way for me and Nanay to still stay connected despite the distance and time difference.

Looking for a place to fall asleep... Numbing me out.

It's bad enough, that the people I work with wants me to change everything: my looks, the way I dress, etc. (not that it's not good or anything), but my flesh and blood had to dictate to me who should I fall in love with. The last time she did that, it made me clean a mess that wasn't mine. Where's the guy now? Married. With a family of his own. Me? Still here and pretty much broken. Can't my own sister be happy for me for once? I'm always happy for her whenever she finds her love. But with me? No one is good enough. It's either he's not good-looking enough or something. And even if she wanted someone for me, would it be the same time as the last one? Another who will slip through my fingers. I wanted a life of my own, different from hers. I've been wanting to go to law school and medicine school, but she's been telling me that it won't mean a thing when I get married. At least, for me I know I have a back-up, a dream and more importantly: a